We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

How do I Report Possible Tax Fraud?

Nicole Madison
Updated May 16, 2024
Our promise to you
SmartCapitalMind is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At SmartCapitalMind, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

As long as there are rules and regulations, there will probably be those who break them. Each year, a small percentage of people attempt to cheat on their taxes in an effort to owe less and/or receive a larger refund. Sometimes people do make mistakes on their tax returns, but mistakes are generally not considered fraud. Tax fraud is the intentional attempt to avoid paying the amount of taxes required, reporting income, and/or filing returns.

Some people may wonder whether they should report tax fraud, thinking it a victimless crime. However, the failure to meet tax obligations can have a harmful effect on the economy. It is considered a crime in the United States as well as in some other countries.

Before you can report tax fraud, it's wise to learn the types of offenses you can report. You can report a person for claiming deductions to which he's really not entitled, hiding or transferring assets or income, and intentionally changing the amount of income on his tax forms to an incorrect amount. Tax fraud also includes over-reporting deductions, keeping false books and records, and having two sets of bookkeeping records with differing figures in them. Even such things as claiming personal expenses as business expenses count as tax fraud.

It is fairly easy to report federal tax fraud in the United States. To do so, a person can visit the IRS website and print out Form 3949-A. This form should be filled out and mailed to the Internal Revenue Service, Fresno, CA 93888.

If a person wants to report tax fraud but does not have access to this form, he may mail a letter to the same address. The letter should include the name and address of the accused, the Social Security number or employer identification number of the accused, and the estimated amount of unreported income. The letter should include a description of the tax violations as well as information that explains how the reporter learned of the fraudulent activity.

A person can file a fraud report anonymously. However, the IRS does ask for the name, address, and phone number of the person who reports the fraud. This information is kept confidential, but it may help the IRS to investigate the claim. To report tax fraud in other countries, a person should contact the local tax administration agency and ask for instructions.

SmartCapitalMind is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Link to Sources
Nicole Madison
By Nicole Madison
Nicole Madison's love for learning inspires her work as a SmartCapitalMind writer, where she focuses on topics like homeschooling, parenting, health, science, and business. Her passion for knowledge is evident in the well-researched and informative articles she authors. As a mother of four, Nicole balances work with quality family time activities such as reading, camping, and beach trips.
Discussion Comments
By anon945465 — On Apr 13, 2014

This lady filed her live-in boyfriend on her taxes and he was in prison for the entire year. Is that legal?

By anon349823 — On Sep 29, 2013

@anon51883: I actually have the same question, except in my case I only know the last four of that person who has been committing fraud for over five years. I would like to know if I can still report them since I have all their other information.

By robbie21 — On Jun 25, 2012

@ anon51883 - You don't have anything to lose by trying it, do you? Just give the IRS all the information you have.

If you've been a victim of tax fraud, though, you might actually have access to the employer identification number or Social Security number of the other person.

For instance, my niece was babysitting for a couple and received the usual cash payments. Well, come January, they gave her a 1099 -- showing that she was an independent contractor of their business! She wound up having to pay self-employment tax, which was quite steep.

But -- obviously she didn't work for the business and the couple was not entitled to take a tax break on what they paid her. She could have reported them to the IRS easily because the business's tax ID number was on the 1099! But she explained that to them and got them to fix it on their end.

By anon51883 — On Nov 09, 2009

How can one report a tax fraud if one does not know the Social Security number of the accused? Can one use just the address and the names of the accused?

Nicole Madison
Nicole Madison
Nicole Madison's love for learning inspires her work as a SmartCapitalMind writer, where she focuses on topics like...
Learn more
SmartCapitalMind, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

SmartCapitalMind, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.