We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What Is a 1099 Form?

By D Frank
Updated May 21, 2024
Our promise to you
SmartCapitalMind is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At SmartCapitalMind, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

In the United States, corporations, small businesses and other employers use a variety of forms to record the income earned by employees and independent contractors. Typically, employees of a business in the U.S. receive a W-2 form that lists the income they received during the year. This form also contains deductions taken from that income in the form of federal and state taxes, deferred compensation and Social Security contributions, to name a few. A 1099 form is used for various reasons, but it typically is given to an independent contractor — also known as a freelancer — as a record of the income that he or she received from a particular business. Other versions of the 1099 can be used to report different types of income, such as interest, dividends, real estate sale proceeds and debt cancellation.

On a typical 1099 form, such as the 1099-MISC, the income earned will be noted, but there will not be any deductions for federal or state income taxes, nor will any deferred compensation, Social Security or medical deductions that can be noted. The 1099 form's recipient is not an employee of the business, so the business is obligated only to tender the income to the contractor without any deductions. This income is also reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) so that it can track and tax the income earned by freelance workers. A freelancer is obligated to calculate his or her own taxes and forward those payments to the IRS.

People who receive 1099 forms come from a wide spectrum. Actors, artists, novelists, freelance writers and similar creative artists generally are compensated on a per-job basis and are not treated as employees. Many businesses have begun bringing in independent contractors to work on particular tasks. This helps keep the employer's costs down because the employer does not have to pay for such things as health insurance or life insurance and does not have to make contributions to retirement plans. After the task is completed, the employer can end the working relationship and simply issue the independent contractor a 1099 form. 

what is a 1099 form

Many other versions of a 1099 form also can be issued. A 1099-INT, for example, is used to denote the interest that the taxpayer earned. A 1099-G form denotes things such as tax refunds and credits received. A 1099-R is for distributions from retirement plans, annuities, pensions and the like. In all, there are more than 20 versions of the 1099 form.

SmartCapitalMind is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Link to Sources
Discussion Comments
By TaxPro — On Nov 05, 2015

A 1099 form is used when the taxpayer has received income from sources other than a wage-paying job.

By SabeanC — On Apr 13, 2015

i cleaned houses for several different people. I also cleaned/detailed vehicles as well as babysat and ran errands for several different people. How do I report this income?

By ctrostel — On Apr 14, 2014

I am being paid to care for my grandmother. Do I need a 1099 form? Who provides it? What other legal actions should I take? Will my getting paid for these services interfere with her receiving medicaid? Thanks.

By svcipcb — On Mar 15, 2014

When do we report last quarter payment on a 1099 if it was billed to us in December and was paid in January the following year?

By anon930737 — On Feb 05, 2014

Can an employer 1099 you severance pay to avoid paying their share of the taxes? And does this have an effect on your SS retirement?

By anon330148 — On Apr 14, 2013

@post 214: This is for your salon owner: "It is required by law for any person to whom you paid at least $600 total for the year. If you do not report these earnings to the IRS, you can incur IRS penalties as high as $200 – for each worker."

So yes, she is required to send 1099-MISC (to report what she paid you) to the IRS and send you a copy.

By anon321204 — On Feb 21, 2013

I race in New Hampshire and live in Connecticut. My tax guy told me I didn't need to claim because I didn't win enough money to claim. This past season 2012, I ran the full season. What is the amount of winnings I need to collect on? And how much do I need to have spent to start claiming?

By anon320831 — On Feb 19, 2013

On the Arizona tax return, why does turbotax say I need to attach a 1099-R when I have no retirement accounts or pension and did not receive this form from my employer?

By anon320799 — On Feb 19, 2013

@ post 179: Unfortunately, you will have to pay those taxes. True, you should have charged more for your hours and expertise. But the employer doesn't have to tell you that you have to pay taxes so you have no legal recourse. Everyone is legally obligated to pay taxes.

And I understand that you feel that you made less than minimum wage, but theoretically, you did not. When someone makes minimum wage, they still have taxes taken out, which means that their net is less than minimum also. So they make less than you made.

By anon320796 — On Feb 19, 2013

So who fills out the 1099? The company that hires you or you? Or both? In other words, how does this affect the employer? I am trying to decide whether or not to incorporate. If it is an inconvenience to the employer by me being a "freelancer", I would incorporate.

By anon319803 — On Feb 14, 2013

I have an art gallery in South Carolina. I have artists who consign their work to this gallery at a rate of 55 percent to them and 45 percent to the gallery. Are we required by law to issue the artist a 1099? We have displayed our own art and sold at other galleries and have never in years been issued a 1099.

By anon319478 — On Feb 13, 2013

@anon1670: A 1099 "employee" is not an employee. In the instructions for the form, Box 7 is for "non-employee" compensation. If you are getting a 1099 MISC with an amount in Box 7, your "employer" has determined that you are an independent contractor; so as a self-employed person, can you still claim unemployment? The answer is: it depends on your state law but here is an analysis based on my location (Ohio). When you fill out the claim form (remember unemployment is an insurance program - like most government programs) you answer questions about who you worked for - they want to see if anyone paid premiums on your behalf (a.k.a. unemployment tax).

If premiums were paid and you meet the eligibility criteria, your claim is covered. If not, your claim will be denied. Being self-employed means you take on all the things that your employer would otherwise do - including paying into social security (federal self-employment tax) and unemployment. Hope this helps.

By anon317352 — On Feb 01, 2013

I am a hairdresser in a salon and I have an independent contractors license. I work in the salon as an independent contractor. I pay the owner of the salon 40 percent (rent) of what I make. I asked her for a 1099misc. form and she told me that she did not have to give me any forms, that it was my responsibility as an independent contractor. I received a 1099 form at the last salon I worked in. She is saying that she does not have to give me any form at all?

By anon295054 — On Oct 04, 2012

Can you receive unemployment if you use the 1099 form?

By anon287863 — On Aug 27, 2012

The company I worked was in a class action law suit and is now settling. I received a letter in the mail saying that they were going to send a form 1099 with my check. What is the least I can receive before I have to file taxes on it? For instance, if I received a check for three hundred dollars untaxed, do I have to file taxes on it.

By anon260875 — On Apr 12, 2012

I received a 1099 Misc for funds. Part of the funds were returned in same year. The company states that I will have to deduct that when I file my return. How would I go about doing that?

By anon258677 — On Apr 02, 2012

I am an online worker and not from the US. My former employer who fired me about three months ago suddenly contacted me now that I need to to fill out the 1099 form. I didn't know this from the beginning of my work there and this type of tax is not in my country. What should I do about this?

By anon252896 — On Mar 07, 2012

My ex-employer handed me a 1099 MISC for this past year but I had already paid taxes on this money. So my question is what do I do since he refuses to give me the money withheld or do a W2 like he should have?

By anon246615 — On Feb 10, 2012

I did a presentation for a non-profit group who paid me $300. They claim I do not need a 1099 form as the amount was under $600. Yet I received a 1099 form from a tax paying company who paid me only $400. So do I insist the non-profit give me a 1099 form?

By anon245244 — On Feb 04, 2012

The company I worked for forgot to report several Board of Directors members' income to IRS one year ago. 1099s were sent to directors so I believe they reported to the IRS, but the company didn't send copies to the IRS. What should the company do in this situation? Please advise!

By socrpar8hd — On Feb 02, 2012

We had a big party the 4th of July, and I personally paid for the musicians. There were tickets sold, but we didn't make any profit at all. I was sent a W9 from one of the musicians. Do I need to do anything with that?

By anon243673 — On Jan 29, 2012

The company I work for was acquired in a take over by a larger company. When this happened (July 2011), the first company gave us the option to cash out our retirement. Because I had a car to pay off and some other debts I took the cash out. Will I get a 1099 from Fidelity or does this come from the IRS?

By anon241485 — On Jan 19, 2012

I am a nurse and an independent contractor. My problem is that I worked all this year but since July I have worked and submitted invoices per our contract but the employer has not paid us. I am owed $21,000 for Sept-through December. Must they pay me what they owe me before January 31 when 1099s are due to go out?

By anon234935 — On Dec 15, 2011

I am not sure whether receiving a 1099 form is good or a W2 form.

By amypollick — On Aug 09, 2011

@anon204501: For your situation, I'd recommend you contact either a Certified Public Accountant or a tax attorney -- someone with experience in complex tax issues. That person would be able to advise you correctly.

By anon204501 — On Aug 09, 2011

Regarding post no. 164: where can I receive an answer to this question?

By anon184940 — On Jun 09, 2011

quick question: i started a new job that's "salary". It's a sales job. If i sell and my commission is higher than my salary, I receive the higher amount, but not both. If i make no sales and the company pays me salary aren't i considered an employee? This company is 1099. This seems like a loophole from hell. it requires travel. 1099 means they won't offer me workers comp probably, health insurance etc. I feel as though I'm being taken for. Help!

By anon171170 — On Apr 29, 2011

I worked for someone as an IC from December until the middle of April, and he still hasn't given me a 1099, though I've asked for it numerous times. He now won't return my calls, and has just "disappeared', and I still can't file my taxes. What can I do about this?

By anon170663 — On Apr 27, 2011

Can you explain the new 1099-K form for online sellers whose rules are in effect for 2011?

By tapiocas — On Apr 14, 2011

I am not a real-estate professional. I own a rental property (duplex) with my father at a 50/50 split. The management company sends me the rent checks and I pay the mortgage and all other expenses.

At the end of the year I get a 1099MISC from the rental company. My father then reports half the income and expenses on his tax return. Should I issue a 1099MISC to my father for his half of the income?

By anon167430 — On Apr 12, 2011

I received a W2 for a few months work during the 1st quarter of 2010. Then I set up office at home as an independent consultant, but did not have any contracts until August 2010, for which I received a 1099.

Does the IRS consider me 'self employed' for the entire year?

By anon166705 — On Apr 09, 2011

Do I have to report money received for damages an oil company did to my property?

By anon164123 — On Mar 30, 2011

My dad is a us citizen, as well as my mom, and neither of them have worked or lives in the U.S. in their lives. They have never had a government benefit in their lives, either. Are they by any chance eligible to try to get some benefits just for being US citizens.

By anon159855 — On Mar 13, 2011

I worked as an umpire for little league baseball and received a 1099 misc. Do I need to fill out a schedule c?

By anon158328 — On Mar 06, 2011

I worked for a man helping him build a log home. I never negotiated or signed any contracts with him. In total I earned $3105 dollars, I was being paid $8.00 an hour. He never deducted any taxes from my pay check (which was a check from his lawn care business account). A few months after my work was done he calls me and tells me he's doing a 10-99 on me. So my point is, I wasn't previously informed that this would be done, and after I pay the IRS, my hourly wages from working for him will be less than the minimum wage law in my state.

I should have been paid about $10.00 an hour if I was going to be taxed. Can I legally have the employer compensate me for the money I have lost?

By anon157417 — On Mar 02, 2011

i am reading a lot about 1099 forms in reference to employees. employees get w-2 forms. if you pay cash to a worker, he is not an employee. one of you must pay taxes, let alone unemployment tax. not doing so is fraud on many fronts. And, geniuses, stop admitting that the cash recipients were employees or you could wind up in a lot of hot water. The Patriot Act strictly forbids this type of conduct. Be careful! The government is not your friend and is hell bent on doing you in.

By anon156292 — On Feb 26, 2011

if you're an independent contractor, when do they have to have your 1099 to you?

By anon156117 — On Feb 25, 2011

My 18 year old daughter was employed by her grandmother over the summer. She made about $1800. She was told that she wouldn't have to pay taxes under $3000 because she was working in a family business. When we filed taxes, however, we found out that her grandmother was classifying her as "self-employed." She is a struggling college student and we have not received a 1099 from her grandmother's business. (My former mother-in-law) We are being told she owes $300 in taxes. She is angry and feels she was misled. Is there any recourse?

By anon156000 — On Feb 25, 2011

I’m a smaller business and can’t afford payroll expenses or health insurance. I don’t hire full time but more on an as needed basis. My workers could average anywhere between 0-35 hours a week depending on the month. Sometimes I go several months without hiring anyone. Can I 1099 them at the end of the year? I have heard several mixed messages around the topic and don’t really know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

By anon154062 — On Feb 19, 2011

As an employer, What do I need to have in order to send an employee a 1099. What if I only paid the person cash? If I have no paper trail to the payment and the employee chooses to dispute the 1099 what can I do at this point. My question is: Do I not have to have something showing a payment to the employee in order to prove payment?

By anon153838 — On Feb 18, 2011

My husband and I both worked for my parent's small business all year. In an attempt to get things rolling again, neither one of us received an actual pay check but the business did pay our bills. Is a 1099 the way to go? Thanks!

By anon152061 — On Feb 12, 2011

I have received an 1099-Misc form for tutoring, but the company I worked for does not have an EIN or TAX Id. How to file it?

By anon151600 — On Feb 10, 2011

We used a debt settlement company, I know bad choice. Is the money paid to them for their assistance tax deductible? Can I send them a 1099 form?

By anon150869 — On Feb 09, 2011

If I did not send out 1099's for 2009 and going to send them out now, would they be corrected 1099's?

By anon150211 — On Feb 07, 2011

I worked for about a month as an independent contractor for an insurance company as an agent. I believe that my commission was only around 300 dollars if that. I live in South Carolina, Dorchester County. Do I have to file a 1099? I am getting conflicting answers and would rather not have to file if I don't have to. The company sent my earnings to my old address, but it still hasn't forwarded it to my new address. I have called them and they said that they will try to get the information out to me.

By anon148690 — On Feb 02, 2011

I have had a lot of landscaping done to my house, which I paid three different contractors/companies to complete. I am just a regular homeowner. Do I need to submit 1099's to show the checks and cash that I gave those individuals? If I do, how do I go about doing this?

By anon148650 — On Feb 02, 2011

I work for a marching band that pays me through the band boosters. Do I need to pay taxes on this money and if so how if I never received a 1099-misc nor filled out a w-9. Thanks!

By anon148288 — On Feb 01, 2011

To # 164: If you received any money in 2010, the 1099 is correct. You have income and this is how it's reported. It doesn't matter when you quit working.

To #163: If this individual is an employee, you must report his income on form W-2, not 1099. Conversely, if this individual is an independent contractor, you MUST report payments to him on 1099. And you don't want to be willy-nilly about deciding which he is. The more control you have, the more likely he is to be an employee. If you own the truck, that ends the inquiry. He's an employee. On the other hand, if he owns the truck, he may very well be a contractor.

To #162: No. This is a common misconception. Cash income must be reported along with everything else. Hide it at your own risk. You have been warned.

By anon147643 — On Jan 30, 2011

I'm confused. I was laid off in 2009, and have been receiving unemployment since. I worked there almost 20 years. The company is no longer in business. But with the sale of the property, I and the rest of us received money. Now I received a 1099 misc form but I haven't worked there for over a year. Is a 1099 misc form correct? I was surprised to even receive anything. I didn't know about any money til the middle of Christmas 2010.

By anon147077 — On Jan 28, 2011

I have started a new trucking business. One of my employees has asked me not to take taxes out of his paychecks. Instead he wants us to give him a 1099.

Does he have to have his own federal id number and his own company. I would think he would be considered sub-contracting work from us. I want everything to be legal. Can you tell me if it is OK for us to let him fill out a w-9 and give him a 1099 at the end of the year.

By anon147025 — On Jan 28, 2011

Cash is cash and does not have to be reported.

By anon146559 — On Jan 26, 2011

OK I'm lost. I am not sure what to do. My mom claimed me but I moved out halfway through the year which is when I started working. Should I file but I know I can't claim myself. Also I am a co-founder at my church. how do I go about putting that on my taxes? Should I put it on my taxes? And what if I had a dependent? Can I claim them but not me?

By shannon400 — On Jan 19, 2011

OK, I think I have really messed up. I have already filed my tax return for unemployment. I was out of work from Jan 8th until Sept of 2010. Now I am an independent contractor and filled out a W9 and now was just told I will be getting my 1099 form by the end of the month. Ugh!

I have already filed for my tax return for unemployment. Didn't think I had to file for this since no taxes were taken out. Now what am I supposed to do? Help!

By anon143531 — On Jan 16, 2011

we were served with foreclosure paperwork on our house but it still hasn't sold at auction or anything. What do I do as far as my taxes are concerned? scmk

By anon143360 — On Jan 15, 2011

I worked for a company the first six months of 2010 and received a w-2. The second half of the year I worked in construction sites as maintenance and it was cash.

What form am I suppose to fill out for that or is the person who paid me cash supposed to give me a form? Would it be, in this case, a 1099? I am responsible for my own taxes.

By anon142743 — On Jan 13, 2011

can an employer 1099 you without filling out a w-9 form? need an answer please, asap. thank you.

By anon142291 — On Jan 12, 2011

I am currently on unemployment in one state, had to move to another state due to cost of living and place to stay and continue to look for work. Offered 1099 to sell-commission only position in new state and could possibly do real estate if I can qualify and pay for all education but how does this affect unemployment since all positions are Independent and no guarantee of any money, no benefits, no expenses, nothing?

By anon142200 — On Jan 12, 2011

I'm a freelance designer. The company I do most of my work for just ask me for a SS# or Tax ID. I'm not sure what to do, and also to fill out the 1099? Since I do minimum work if they report me to the IRS. Do I have to file my taxes also? --K18

By keshannaw — On Jan 08, 2011

I worked as a server for a friend of a friend who has a small catering company during 2010. I estimate I made about $2000. When I asked him about receiving a 1099 he told me he doesn't give those out. My question is when I file my taxes can I still report that income without the 1099?

By anon140214 — On Jan 06, 2011

I have temps work for me on an as needed basis and I want to 1099 them. What form should I give them to sign? I live in georgia and my company is incorporated.

By anon139575 — On Jan 05, 2011

I have a friend whom i have to pay some commission fees. However, he has US Corp but does not have bank account. Now he has one intermediation company who has US Bank account. Can i pay his commission through this new company and issue 1099 to the end of the year? Please advise.

By anon137183 — On Dec 26, 2010

Help, Help, Help. I work online and have made a little over $500 on the site. On the site it says that if you make over the $600 with any one company, they will send you the 1099 but my income has been through various companies.

Also I have done misc surveys, mystery shopping, and am over the $600 mark from donating plasma, and have receipts for craigslist sales, and doing hair. We have a regular w-2 but it's around $2,000 extra income between me and my husband. I need to claim this and am unsure how as we have three children who are qualified for EIC.

By anon136073 — On Dec 21, 2010

To the woman who is retired and her children don't help, go to your local welfare office and apply for food stamps and go to your local housing authority and apply. they can help with your rent payments. there is a program called leap that will help you with heat and medical payments, too. good luck to you and don't leave your kids a dime.

By vaudegal — On Dec 16, 2010

In answer to #143: a 1099 is only required for payment for services to contracted individuals, not for reimbursement of expenses. It is like a W4 for non-employees.

#140: that's true, but to protect yourself you should have a W9 from all your vendors, on which they state their status.

#139: if you earn $600 or more from anyone for any service, they are required to file a 1099 as long as you qualify as a contractor and not an employee. Due to the level of control that your employers have over you, you probably qualify as an employee, but probably no one would go to the expense of making you an employee (unless you were a full time nanny for a family).

#61: yes.

#54: They should have had your daughter fill out a W9 at the beginning of the job. The 1099 is what they send her at the end of the year - a statement of her wages for the year for tax purposes. They didn't do their job collecting her social security number before she started working.

#53: yes and yes

#30 yes. there is a box on the form to check that this is rental income.

#5 you should get a W2 for your work as an employee, and file that with your taxes. However what your employer is doing, by shifting your status and not changing the nature of your work, sounds illegal.

Employers cannot simply decide to change status from employee to contractor in order to save money. There are definitions for each type of worker. I would contact the labor and/or employment department in the state in which I live to discuss the matter.

By anon132084 — On Dec 05, 2010

My church financial secretary is suggesting that if a member purchase an item and then seeks reimbursement that the church will have to file a 1099 form in the individuals name who is seeking reimbursement.

By anon131203 — On Dec 01, 2010

A bank sends a borrower a 1099 for the amount in default on a home equity loan. The borrower had earlier requested that the bank prove it had custody and control of the promissory note in question; and the bank never provided such proof (said note possibly having been securitized to kingdom come).

If a bank has no custody and control of a loan note, can it possibly have standing to file a 1099 based upon the default of that note? If it has no such standing, how does the borrower get the IRS to throw the 1099 out?

By anon127576 — On Nov 16, 2010

Under the new health care law I understand that if I sell something for $600 or more I must file a 1099. So if I sell my car that I bought for $1000 and I get $650 for it I have to prepare a 1099. However I have no taxable income from the sale. So why the 1099 and won't it simply confuse the IRS (which I understand is fairly easy to do)?

By anon127181 — On Nov 15, 2010

I work for a small company that has sub-contractors that do work for us. I was told that if the company is Incorporated that you don't send them a 1099, only sole proprietors, is this correct and can you give the guide lines on who does receive one. Thank you.

By anon125961 — On Nov 11, 2010

I have been doing private babysitting/ nanny ever since I was out of high school. This particular family I was working for back in September of '09 is now claiming she's going to slap a 1099 on me.

I never worked full time for them and never earned over 100 a week. I never transported there children any were. How much is the earned income supposed to be? I do not have business cards or anything.

By anon123796 — On Nov 03, 2010

I am a 76-year-old woman. I began my working "career" at age 17 and was employed and paid taxes all the subsequent years, as a young married woman, as a wife of a military man (now deceased) as a pregnant woman, as a mother, as a divorced woman, and as a single parent.

Over all the years, I remained employed and, as required, paid taxes. At age 65, I filed for social security benefits and currently receive an amount which barely covers the rent on a one-room "studio" and leaves me $47 with which to buy food and sundry items of necessity, pay the co-pay fees on my prescriptions, pay the co-pay fee for my medical appointments, telephone and cable, and car insurance and car fuel.

Although I gave birth to and raised three children, I do not receive help from, nor hear from these three adults who are employed and doing quite well on their own. My question to you is, is there any resource or "law" that could force my children to help me financially?

I am at my wits end and feel I cannot continue with my life, being needy and a burden to friends. I am an intelligent woman and in possession of all my faculties, but without family or funds. This may not be the forum on which to pose this inquiry, but maybe somebody, somewhere has an answer for me? What do women alone -- aging and forgotten mothers -- do to survive?

By vaio234 — On Aug 23, 2010

I'm looking into becoming an insurance agent. Right now I'm on unemployment. The prospective company I may work at uses 1099's. My question is, if I were to choose this job, would I be able to collect unemployment during the beginning phase? By beginning phase I mean in the weeks where I don't have business or applicants.

By aljenn09 — On Jul 13, 2010

In the state of South Carolina, is an S Corporation required to offer their self-contracted employees the same benefits that the shareholders/owners of the S Corporation receive? How many employees is an S Corporation required to have? Mine has two shareholder/employees and one self-contracted employee. And last, is the S Corporation required to pay half of their self-contracted employees' FICA? Thank you!

By anon93717 — On Jul 05, 2010

I am working as an H1B employee. And my wife is under H4 visa, but she is certified in eyebrow threading and wants to work. But because of her legal status she can't work. But her company told her she can work as a 1099 employee because she has ITIN number. What is 1099? Can she work as a 1099 employee?

and the company told her you are under H4 status and you can do business under that visa status. Is that true?

By harp2003 — On May 29, 2010

Anyone heard of municipalities forcing individuals who receive 1099s to take out business licenses for rendering services in their towns? There's an outfit in Fresno that's raking the public record for 1099s issued by businesses, then notice the individuals that they must apply for a business license and pay annual business tax to the city.

So, by that logic, if a business owner in one city calls a plumber in a neighboring town, that plumber has to take out a business license in that city before he can fix the pipes. Ridiculous.

By anon86058 — On May 23, 2010

i worked in conn. but get paid from ny pay under the table. i make over 1,000 weekly collecting ssi benefits. would the irs know my salary. even though my employer did not disclose my salary to the irs. how would they know how much i make?

By anon85424 — On May 20, 2010

Wow - In reading this, I realize that the reason this country is in such a mess is not because we spend more than we tax (though that's one reason), its because so many are working as hard as possible to not pay your fair share in taxes. Last year I paid over $100K in taxes, and I don't mind because that's my fair share - even though I don't have children, so I don't use the schools, colleges, or get tax breaks for them.

So many people are sucking off my tax burden and should be in debtor's prison. what about accepting unemployment and trying to find a way to not pay taxes on the under-the-table money? Really? They are criminals, but I'll bet they are right now fighting against entitlements for people who are a different color than you. I hope all these people get sent to prison where they belong.

By maracuya1982 — On Apr 28, 2010

How can somebody do the following? They are getting unemployment. However they get this job that they thought was an under the table job through a company.

However, they end up getting paid by a check each week or two and are put on a 1099(not sure what type) form? However, the person's boss does not have their ss#, so how would they know if unemployment was being filed, or how would unemployment know he/she has a 1099 job?

How can a person have a 1099 job and get unemployment at the same time?

By anon79963 — On Apr 25, 2010

I have been working since 2001 and now it's 2010 as an 1099 contractor. I work well over 50 hours a week, only because of the knowledge I have they need to use. I've been 40 years in the business, I am something of a specialist and I am used.

I need to catch up with my taxes. It's difficult, yet I am responsible. What position do I take, if I am working that many hours? They treat me as an employee, but I have no vacation, get no medical benefits, and of course, I must pay my taxes.

Do I have any recourse to get them to either poo or get off the pot and hire me or what?

Is my position strong? I need help. I am tired of being used, and not reaping the same benefits as all the employees.

By anon79191 — On Apr 21, 2010

I was offered a commission job and the employer wants me to fill out a 1099. The employer wants a 60/40 split. In other words I get sixty percent on each appointment and the owner gets 40. I this legit, am I really an independent contractor since the owner takes part of the money from each appointment?

By anon76102 — On Apr 08, 2010

I was hired by a church 10 years ago while I was in college to provide childcare for the church. I received monthly paychecks.

I have worked for them on and off for the last 10 years and just last year received a 1099 Misc. I had received nothing in the years past. My tax return was a mess. I have only ever worked with W-2's.

I requested a W-2 for this year but again received a 1099 Misc. Social security and Medicare were taken out of my checks but no taxes. Any suggestions on how to make filing easier in this situation?

By anon76049 — On Apr 08, 2010

i want to know if a person fills out a w-2 form and doesn't get hired is there any legal action i can take?

By anon73006 — On Mar 25, 2010

In general if your service provider is a corporate entity then you do not have to send them a Form 1099. The main exception is attorneys. No matter what type of entity your attorney happens to practice under you are required to send them a Form 1099 for the services they provide to your business, rental property or home office. --Simplified Taxes

By anon70095 — On Mar 11, 2010

If you hire a person to come in and roof your house, do we have to report anything to the IRS? I had a subcontractor take money from me to do work and he left after the second payment with out doing the work. I want to make sure he does not "enjoy" the profit. How can I make sure the IRS knows about the money (over 7K he will not pay taxes on).

By anon69380 — On Mar 08, 2010

I just started a Home Business. but don't know which tax form will i get from the company?

thank, may god be with us all.

By anon69140 — On Mar 06, 2010

Be very careful when using the 1099 tactic. It is not as simple as just saying your company is a 1099. The IRS, has a checklist to see if you meet the 1099 criteria, and note that you must be able to answer "no" to all 20 conditions or your company is not a 1099 and you are committing tax fraud.

By anon68886 — On Mar 04, 2010

We had gone through a short sale in CA in 2009. Our lenders both agreed, and provided in writing, that the proceeds they received from the sale would satisfy the debt. Both have sent 1099-Cs as expected.

Now, four weeks later, the second lender is sending us a corrected 1099-C stating the amount of debt canceled is $0.

The letter we have from them stated that they would accept no less than $5,000 in full satisfaction of that certain load dated XX/XX/XXXX. Further, it says that at close of escrow, no further amounts shall be due and owing to the lender as a result of the loan.

What are they doing now sending a $0 corrected 1099C form?

By fmackso — On Feb 28, 2010

My second mortgage lender issued me a 1099C. Then four weeks later I made an agreement, based on now not owing the second mortgage, with my first lender. Now the second sent me a letter saying it was an "error" to issue me the 1099C - therefore they are not canceling my debt and I owe them - and sent me a corrected 1099C with "$0" on it. Can they do that? What can I do about it?

I made a decision based on them canceling the debt.

By anon67706 — On Feb 26, 2010

Trying to do my taxes on TurboTax this year instead of hiring someone. I received a 1099 MISC form with all income and reimbursed expenses on the non-employ comp line. When entering them into turbotax, how do I separate my expenses from my actual income so I am not paying taxes on the reimbursed expenses?

By anon67547 — On Feb 25, 2010

I worked as a contract draftsman for a company and they told me they are going to give me a 1099. It's now the end of February and they still haven't provided the 1099. It is the only thing holding up my tax return and a large refund. By law, when do they have to provide the 1099?

By anon66724 — On Feb 21, 2010

What happens if someone sends you a 1099 for money they did not give me? They don't have a W-9 from me and they used my social security number without my consent instead of my LLC tax ID number.

Is that legal? What options do I have to not pay taxes on money I didn't get, and avoid the IRS flagging a discrepancy with my SSN#?

By anon66213 — On Feb 18, 2010

I'm thinking of settling with my creditors, and I read that anything over $600.00 has to be reported to the IRS as income. What if I settle with more than one creditor, but didn't go over $600.00, would they add them altogether and I would pay tax on it, or could I get around paying the tax by staying under $600.00? Thanks ~

By beadit — On Feb 15, 2010

We hired a guy who is going to assist us in creating our Facebook page and maintain our Twitter account. He will be paid on a monthly basis. He is an LLC. Does he have to get a 1099 from us? Thanks.

By anon65023 — On Feb 10, 2010

I have already filed my taxes and then my sister, who i baby sat for, decided to file on me. She is giving me a 1099. Do i have to file the 1099?

By anon64516 — On Feb 07, 2010

i have been receiving 1099 for two years now, but they told me that it is better to get a w2 instead of a 1099. is there any way instead of getting a 1099 i can get a w2 from it? what should i do to have a w2 instead of a 1099 from job? please help me. thanks

By anon63999 — On Feb 04, 2010

I have been working for a someone as an independent contractor for 17 months, realizing later that I was actually being treated as an employee. He also hired six other contractors.

In 2008 he did not send a 1099. In 2009 he hired the other six contractors for about four months then let them go without notice. One tried to collect unemployment and as a result, I was required to sign a W-9.

Since then, I left this firm and am now expecting a 1099 from him, but have not received one or any response from him. I'm going to declare the income, but also think I should report him to the IRS for the other six contractors who were not required to sign W-9's and will probably not declare the income.

I really feel that my rights have been violated. He also sent me a letter from his attorney stating that I agreed to a non compete. I was forced into adding it into my contract that he never signed. I am seeking legal counsel.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? If so, what did you do?

By anon63773 — On Feb 03, 2010

i own a home day care. i had a guy work for me the whole year and he was paid cash. do i give him a 1099 or can i give him a w-2 form? Please help me.

By anon63603 — On Feb 02, 2010

I am part of a non-profit association. We got a 1099 from a cty fair where we put on a show. We have never filed any sort of taxes before. Do we have to worry about this?

By secure1 — On Feb 01, 2010

Does anyone know if being required to live on site of your work allows for you to be exempt from a 1099?

I do security in trade for a place to live and they are wanting to file a 1099 on me.

By anon63418 — On Feb 01, 2010

i got a 1099 G card in the mail from my state in the amount of 171.00 dollars. i already filed my taxes, and i have no idea what this is for? Please help.

By anon62343 — On Jan 26, 2010

If a credit card co. settles for less is the amount considered income, does a 1099 need to be filed? I owe 3200.00 and settled for 1600.00. Is the 1600.00 taxable?

By dheinrich — On Jan 25, 2010

I have a question regarding 1099 reporting. The situation is this: My boss has partnered with another company. We have paid commissions to other companies from our company bank account for his company. Although the payment is from us, we referenced that the payment was from his company.

My boss wants to give his partner a 1099 for the total amount paid out. I think the individual companies should get a 1099 from us (since we actually paid them). Can you clarify this for us please?

By anon61924 — On Jan 23, 2010

i gave a person who is not my family member my info to file me on their taxes. is there a way that they won't file me?

By anon57801 — On Dec 27, 2009

I recently started working for a doctor's office. He is paying me through personal checks. I've heard some rumors about him giving us a 1099 form and me having to pay him back taxes. What does this mean? I'm kind of scared because I can't afford to pay any money back I have four young children. Can someone please give me some information?

Thanks, marvelgirl04

By tommyh911 — On Dec 23, 2009

My girlfriend is being audited by the IRS. they are asking her for the name, phone number and ssn of the person she living with. We are not related or married so do I have to give my ssn to her. Please help.

By anon56551 — On Dec 15, 2009

I've been working at a club for two years now and get paid cash for. Now they want me to fill out a 1099 form? What does that mean for me? Since I didn't do it last year, will I get in trouble?

By anon55947 — On Dec 10, 2009

well i have been working for this company since may, and at the end of september, the boss started writing checks out from a business savings account, and he told us we would have to file 1099 form because he claimed it for the last quarter of this year. What does that mean to me. i always file married separately? what does form 1099 mean to me?

By anon49633 — On Oct 21, 2009

My neighbor just informed me that her current employer (she is a hairdresser) where she earns tips plus $12.50/hour has informed all employees that he is going to continue paying them $12.50/hour but now considers them contractors and that they must complete a 1099. He also informed them that they are now responsible for paying their own taxes (which he previously paid over and above their salary) and that he is dropping health benefits). He owns six franchises nationwide hair salons. She will report to work when scheduled, use his appointment system, but she's not absolutely certain if he will continue to provide supplies. Is this legal for him to suddenly switch from W-2 employees to 1099 employees but continue to pay them the same hourly wage? Is there someone she should report this to, etc.?

By st197708 — On Sep 25, 2009

To anon1906: Depends on your status. You can either be chosen to be taxed here in USA using an agent or show your foreign earned income in your Indian tax returns.

By seabull — On Sep 22, 2009

Does an issuer of a w1099 have to pay workman's comp?

By anon45987 — On Sep 22, 2009

I received a 1099 form for $70,000. Does the issuer pay workmen's comp on me? He always tells me that he does. If I pay my own taxes and i'm listed as an independent contractor why would he be paying for workmen's comp? thank you.

By anon45762 — On Sep 20, 2009

Im a freelance writer in a website. if they give me a 1099 Form and I only earned $200 for this year, do i need to pay tax? and i heard that for those you earned $600 above will get that 1099 form. can you elaborate on the 1099 Form please.

By anon43777 — On Sep 01, 2009

I co-owned some properties with a friend. He bought me out and paid me in cash. He is telling me that he has to send me a 1099 form. Is this correct? thanks

By anon39428 — On Aug 01, 2009

I work for a big hotel as security and they made me fill out a 1099 when i started am i considered a contractor becus of this? zfan 1

By anon38638 — On Jul 27, 2009

A friend received a judgment for damages against a homebuilder contractor for damage to his water pipes.

The homebuilder insists upon sending a 1099 with payment of the judgment. Is a 1099 appropriate in such a case?

By anon37509 — On Jul 20, 2009

what kind of taxes are taken out of a students internship pay check for the summer? I filled out a 1099 and a W-4? I only work 23 hours a week for probably 8 weeks.

By anon36885 — On Jul 15, 2009

I am thinking about doing a quick sale on a townhouse. Do my husband and I have to pay back taxes once receiving a 1099 form from the bank?

By anon35129 — On Jul 02, 2009

Our personal residence was foreclosed in 2008 by our first. We abandoned the property 5 months before the foreclosure. We had a second mtg on the house. We received a 1099A from both the first and second mtg companies. Is this a cancellation of debt because I see the example on IRS website of a 1099C actually says cancellation of debt and shows an amount canceled. We see nothing of cancellation of debt on either of the 1099A's, nor have we received any correspondence as to cancellation of debt.

By anon34339 — On Jun 21, 2009

surely all your questions are not valid since the forms are voluntary and not backed up by any law.

By anon33932 — On Jun 14, 2009

How would I go about giving a 1099 form who has helped me with my services? Do I need his social or does he fill out the 1099 form and give it back to me?

By boiler — On May 20, 2009

I am an independent sales rep for a company that just filed chapter 11. I normally get 1099's from them showing their payments to me. They owe me several thousand dollars. Does my 1099 status affect my creditor status? Am I to be treated more like an employee or do I have to wait in line with all the other creditors?

By origami — On May 17, 2009

to anon31997: I believe the previous threshold for 1099s was $400. By that I mean that any independent contractors who received over $400 in a given tax year are supposed to get a 1099.

Sorry, but I don't know when that limit was increased to $600

By anon31997 — On May 14, 2009

Was $600 always the minimum amount that was required before a 1099 was to be paid? If not, how much was it before, and when did it change to $600?

By sara4 — On May 14, 2009

Do I have to send my 1099 to my state's tax department?

By anon31563 — On May 07, 2009

I work for a company that gives me a 1099 yearly.

If I were to lose my job because of no work

would I qualify for unemployment?

This worries me a lot since I am 58, live alone and live from paycheck to paycheck.

By wildbill — On May 03, 2009

This guy hired a friend and I to work on his buildings- The guy gives one check for the both of us and was told that I was going to get a 1099? How do I go about this when there are two payees on one check- which the check is in my name?

What should I do? I am not charging this guy a higher rate. Should I tell him two checks? or what? I cannot pay the taxes for the both of us.

By alexabou — On Apr 21, 2009

I just got an offer to work for a small company

and they want me to sign a paper that says that

I'm going to pay my taxes in the end of the year

when i receive my 1099 and I'll get a full pay check now. I just want to know when I pay my taxes do I wait until the end of the year and pay them all together and how much I should save every week

if I make $1000 a week. I'm married. thank you

By ldavis — On Apr 01, 2009


I've been selling training materials and receiving payments over PayPal. Its not a registered business, I just sell online and make a little extra income for myself. I've managed to make about $150/week. How does this 1099 form apply to me?

By vidaurryl — On Mar 26, 2009

I've just started this new job in January '09 as an independent contractor. My questions are how much do I set aside for taxes when I get paid per month and should I pay my taxes quarterly or wait until the end of the year? Can I still pay my taxes quarterly if I only receive my 1099 from my work at the end of the year?

By anon28921 — On Mar 24, 2009

I worked with a company for a month or so and was issued 4 checks with a total of $1,500. They did not declare this on their taxes and I did not receive a 1099. They offered to give me a 1099, should I?

By anon27576 — On Mar 02, 2009

I was an independent contractor last year until the place I worked at was sold. Once that happened, I was let go. Now, I have received a W-2 form, but no 10-99. I called and was told they weren't going to do those, they didn't exist. What should I do?

By anon27207 — On Feb 25, 2009

I am a 3rd country National earning income (for services rendered overseas)from from a US-based firm operating overseas. Is my US employer mandated to fill in a 1099 for me? Should I receive a 1099?

By liying50 — On Feb 25, 2009

Currently my friend asked me to give him my SSN so he can send me a 1099. On 2008, my friend has asked me to help him working a business issue. We made trips to other country. I used my personal checks and credit cards to pay for tickets and other expenses. I got reimbursements from him. I did not make any money from the business. I was just helping. Would you please let me know should I get a 1099 for the reimbursements?

Thank you!

By anon26923 — On Feb 21, 2009

I received an out of settlement 1099-Misc, they placed the amount in Box 7, no matter what I do Turbo Tax wants to move it to Box 3 and states I should get a corrected 1099 from this ex- employer.

Is Turbo Tax correct, because I really do not want to have any contact with this corporation ever again!

By dwm62354 — On Feb 11, 2009

My husband and I had to do a quick sale on my home.

The bank accepted the offer and excused the balance that was owed on my mortgage. We received no money on the sale of the home.

We received a 1099. Do we have to claim the difference between the total and what was received?

They said it was paid off.

Thank you billerica

By dktex — On Feb 05, 2009

My employer has been paying me as independent contract for 14 months. I confronted him about this and made him pay his share. He wrote me a check for the back taxes. By the way, he has been paying me weekly by check the entire 14 months.

Then I find out that he doesn't have Workman's Comp. on me and the other 4 employees. So, now they're auditing him.

In the meantime, he has retaliated by cutting 20 hours out of my work week. He knows I'm the one who called.

I qualify for unemployment, but can't get it because, of course, there is no record of him paying unemployment taxes.

I can't do anything because he has under 15 employees.

I did report him to the IRS though using the 3949A.

By reneeg — On Feb 04, 2009

Does an employer have to send or postmark a 1099 by a certain date? Someone I did "off the books" type work for told me she was not going to give me a 1099 but I am not sure and I thought it was by January 30th.

By karenoog — On Feb 03, 2009

I belong to a non-profit organization. We hire people to teach courses. Are we required to provide these individuals with 1099's at the end of the year?

By anon25808 — On Feb 03, 2009

Where are the answers to the above questions? I received a 1099 from my property management company for the income they retrieved for me. Is that the strangest?

By hunter7 — On Feb 03, 2009

I am a parts manager and buy parts from suppliers. I have a supplier that has 1099 me for gifts they sent to me in the form of gift cards and prepaid american express cards, also some merchandise. The gift cards probably are valued under 600.00 and the are saying on the 1099 that the value of compensation for non-employment is 3000.00. Can i fight this and how?

By gurch — On Feb 03, 2009

Last year I babysat for the state of Nebraska. I have done this 2 years in a row. This year they sent me a 1099 misc form for my babysitting. I didn't get one the first year though. When I started to file my taxes they considered it to self employed which its not. But the weird thing is I already got my state taxes back from the Health and Human Services. So I need to include the 1099 form when doing my taxes or not??? I don't see why because I already got the money back from them 3 weeks ago. Any ideas???

By anon25572 — On Jan 31, 2009

To address Whitney's issue and many other similar issues with regards to an outside contract status. It is a conclusion you reach based on a set of control criteria, not a decision you make. If you were an administrator, he provided a telephone, working space, controlled where you worked, when you worked, how you worked, you provided no similar services to any one else, are not a professional, then you are an employee, regardless of what both of you decide. You can review an article in the Journal of Accountany web site on this subject. You can go to unemployment, and ask for benefits, and he will have to pay back unemployment taxes, as well as payroll taxes on you.

The I.R.S. will make the employer even pay in withholding that was not taken from your check.

By anon25502 — On Jan 30, 2009

I received a form that replaces the federal forms 1099-G and 1099-INT but I don't know why? I have an employer, and claim professional memberships and educational materials as work related expenses because they are necessary to work in my state and are not reimbursed by my employer. Is that why I received the form? There was an amount in the Income Tax Overpayment and/or Refund box but nothing in the Interest Paid on Tax Refund box-for 2007. what am I supposed to do with this?

By anon25311 — On Jan 27, 2009

Does a company ending in inc qualify for a 1099?

By mayor1 — On Jan 21, 2009

My daughter worked for cash for a very short time when she returned from college. Cash ended up to be a check, maybe 6 or 8 for less than $100 each. She was never told or asked about making out a 1099 and recently the employer called and asked her for her social security number so she could be sent a 1099. Question 1-- Is this standard practice?

Question 2-- Why would an employer wait 11 months to contact someone to request a social security #

Question 3 -- Does the employee have to be informed at the beginning of their employment they need to fill in a 1099?

By debramirez — On Jan 19, 2009

I am the treasurer for a girls softball league and we hire umpires. Do they have to sign a W9 and if we should happen to pay more than 600.00 a year do we have to do a 1099. Thank you

By Whitney — On Dec 16, 2008

I was hired for a company as an administrator and was told I would be put on payroll. Every month I was told the same thing by my boss he had to wait he could not afford it, but when tax came around he would help me. All other employees are 1099 Independent Sales Res who signed a W9 Form. I signed a W2 form.

Now, he laid me off saying he could not afford me anymore. So, now he will try and claim me as a 1099 can I fight that since I was not an Independent Contractor?

By Ozzy — On Nov 18, 2008

If I opened a bank account under an assumed name. Thinking I was going to start a business from a 401k that I cashed in (paid taxes to irs). I have only been able to loan the dollar amount and have not received any compensation. The full dollar ($5800.00) amount I loaned was paid and I reloaned it. Do i file a 1099 or is the bank going to file for me?

By anon20533 — On Nov 02, 2008

i worked as a secretary for an insurance agent for 6 years; for the 1st 2 years i was paid as a 1099 worker. i worked in the office for the agent using his resources, desk, phones, etc. it has come to my attention that it's illegal to work as a 1099 employee while using his office supplies & equipment. i'd like to know what recourse i have since i now owe the irs thousands of dollars. had i known this i would have insisted on being paid as a w-2 employee. should i contact my local wage & labor board? is there anything i can do at this late to repair any of this? thank you.

By loriking — On Oct 07, 2008

this question is in regards to paying seasonal help and having a 1099 sent to them at the end of the year making them responsible to pay taxes on the money they earn. Is there a maximum amount they are allowed to earn while getting paid this way?

By anon19083 — On Oct 05, 2008

I know of a self employed contractor who is working with only one main contractor. He does not receive a 1099 from the business he is contracting with. Is this the right way to do business and what are the penalties for not giving a 1099 and also on the receiving end of not filing with a 1099?

By mithi — On Sep 10, 2008

My employer has a huge 1099 penalty for incorrect TIN in Information Returns of 2006. Is it correct to levy penalty @50 per document and is there any way of saving this money? Please suggest.

By anon17583 — On Sep 02, 2008

hello, I have a question on 1099-INT and 1099-MISC. I have a LLC which invest money on a real estate company that gives me interest. my questions are:

1. my CPA said since they gave me 1099-INT, i can't write off any business expense. They have to issue me 1099-MISC for me to do so. is that true?

2. does this real estate investment company have the option to give either form?

thank you so much for helping me.

By anon17431 — On Aug 29, 2008

Cheryl, It's not legit to hire 50 people to work in the park and pretend they're independent contractors when they're obviously not and are just looking for jobs. Someone needs to hire these people (as employees) for them to do that kind of work -- if you can't, you'll probably need to work with a staffing agency?

By malarcon — On Aug 28, 2008

The company I work for received a 1099-Misc. This a corporation and as far as I know it should not be receiving one. What should I do?

By samir — On Jul 26, 2008

I have a company in Canada and was wondering if I can hire (on contract basis) a US resident/citizen within US on a 1099 basis.

By anon15750 — On Jul 20, 2008

I have just taken a job w/ a company where I need to fill out a 1099, my dilemma is that I have been collecting unemployment for the past six months and I qualified for the extended 13 wks. I don't start until Aug. 4th but in the meantime I will not be making any money for the next month or longer since my new job requires building clientele. Will I be unable to still claim for unemployment while being self-employed?

By Jennieb — On Jul 02, 2008

My husband just took a job as a painter in which he will be filing his tax returns as a 1090 employee. How much money should we be putting away every paycheck to cover the taxes we will owe? Also, we file jointly - I am a town employee. How will this affect us when we file our taxes, or should we start filing separately?Thanks, Jennie

By pixiedust — On Jun 11, 2008

Smallbusown - You answered your own question right. When you hire an independent contractor you are supposed to get them to fill out a W-9. You don't need to send that in to the IRS; you just need to keep it for your records. Then you are required to complete and send a 1099 to the independent contractor and the IRS, and possibly the state by the required date -- usually the end of January or February.

By smallbusown — On Jun 11, 2008

Answering my own question...

I did some research and I found one post suggested only the W-9 form is needed when hiring a 1099 status worker.

Hope that's really the case.

By smallbusown — On Jun 11, 2008

I'm going to start hiring 1099 status workers.

I have a contract they will sign with me, but I was wondering, before they work for me, do I need to have them fill out an I-9 form ?

Thanks in Advance.

By anon12782 — On May 13, 2008

Essentially all taxes in the United States today are the direct result and intent of the Communist Manifesto. The complex language of the IRS code is intentionally written to overwhelm, intimidate and coerce the individual to voluntarily give up a large percentage of their earnings. The IRS achieves its goal by distorting those laws which already preclude any obligation to pay tax on private sector earnings. What the ordinary citizen does not realize is that two languages exist which define wages, income, business, trade, employees, etc. Common interpretation of these words leads one to believe that Internal Revenue laws do indeed exist which compel citizens to forfeit a percentage of their private earnings.

The other language which forms the legal framework in the US is the US Code. To your utter amazement, here you'll discover how the IRS has manipulated the public by distorting language in the US Code - and through its network of dependent agent representatives such as tax courts, CPA's, IRS agents, etc., extorts billions each year from Americans.

Words such as - wages, income, business, trade and employee - do not apply to the ordinary working person; instead they are identified with the tax obligations of elected public officials and gains from bank holdings such as a savings account.

Unless you understand the difference in word usage and how it is legally applied to income tax, you will be forever robbed of your private sector earnings by a highly evolved group of communist thieves.

Thousands of well-informed Americans are learning the facts. I researched the tax fraud in the US for 10 years before I stumbled upon a liberating truth. I now only pay taxes for which the law of land says I am responsible - and not a penny more.

I suggest anyone wanting to break free forever from the IRS theft scheme to look more closely at a little known resource, Cracking The Code.

While the IRS would have you believe so, it is not the law. Every person has the right and the duty to refute and defend themselves against any charge or claim made by any agency or person - whether it concerns a traffic ticket, an erroneous credit card charge, defamation, taxes, or whatever.

By anon11973 — On Apr 27, 2008

I received a settlement agreement check from a past employer. The employer refuses to send me a 1099 form to file with my tax return. Isn't this form required by law and if it isn't what form is required?

By anon11806 — On Apr 23, 2008

I worked as an employee for a lady who originally paid me under the table with personal checks, then decided she wanted to be more legitimate and would start 1099ing me last year. but she never gave me any forms and never explained that i would have to file as self employed, so i didn't file at all (made less than $7,000). she now says that i owe thousands of dollars. is this true?

By whatnext — On Mar 28, 2008

If I rent rooms out of the same house I occupy, am I obligated to put the rent they paid me on a 1099 form to be sent to the IRS?

By anon10381 — On Mar 26, 2008

I worked for CO 3 years ago but I never got a 1099. How many years do they have to send me one???

By anon10095 — On Mar 19, 2008

I got a 1099-a for abandonment of property. Amount owing 135,000 FMV 110,000. Do i have to pay taxes on the difference? Can anyone help ? What do I do with this form?

By stm44 — On Mar 11, 2008

After the death of my Mother I took the cash payout option for my share of her IRA. The 1099 given to me by her financial institution is shows several thousand dollars less than what I received. They say the extra money came from her estate account and they deposited it to her IRA just before they sent me the check.

The extra money appears no where on my 1099 and the financial institution says they don't know how I'm to report this on my taxes. They're not going to send another 1099 for the money from the estate account. Do I need a 1099?

By ntuconn — On Mar 09, 2008

I was a nanny to a family in the past two years. I watched 5 kids in their house. The family did not withhold FICA, nor did they file quarterly for the unemployment insurance taxes during the time I was working for them. I did not receive a W-2 form or any tax form in the first year. Recently, I received a 1099 from this family. My understanding is that I should be considered as a household employee under the IRS laws, not an independent contractor.

What should I do? I understand that it is my responsibility to pay for my share of taxes; however, I should have been only responsible for 7.5% of FICA tax and my past employer would be responsible for the other 7.5%. Since they have never formerly filed the "nanny tax", they now (for some reasons) decided to send me this 1099 form. I am not quite sure how to report this on my upcoming tax return. I am not a contractor. How do I make this known

Please advise. Thank you very much.

By anon9055 — On Feb 27, 2008

I pay spousal support from my taxed pay, should I have my former spouse fill out a 1099?

By Fagan — On Feb 13, 2008

We incorporated in July of 2007, but before that we had sub-contract labors. When do I have to have their 1099's sent out by?

By anon8225 — On Feb 10, 2008

I filed bankruptcy last year due to a divorce and not being able to pay for my home. I received a 10099-A form. Will I have to owe the government money or will I get any money back?

By anon8172 — On Feb 09, 2008

Employers who treat employees as independent contractors may give a 1099 or no tax statements.

The trouble is if you do any thing about it, it could mean your job. So, what to do? I suppose the only thing you can do is report that income on Schedule C and Schedule SE and take some business expenses?

Any other ideas?

By cheryl — On Jan 29, 2008

Our non-profit organization is attempting to hire approximately 50 people for a 3 month job in a park. We cannot hire these people as employees, and receive funding. We must hire them as independent contractors utilizing 1099. Our accountant says that this cannot be done, first because each one has to be a business and each one has to have a tax-id number. can you help?

By yesnikki — On Jan 11, 2008

This past year I worked as an employee, as an independent contractor and had my own business in which I collected income. Do I have to fill out different forms for each? Will a 1040 long form cover it all?

By ERWright — On Jan 04, 2008

I received tuition reimbursement from my job and was given the maximum $5250 per fiscal year that we are allowed. Do I have to file that on my income taxes?

By anon6613 — On Jan 04, 2008

My husband recently started working on an oil lease and they are saying he's an independent contractor but he gets paid by the hour, told what to do and has a boss, that watches over him and uses their equipment and tools. How do I dispute this when we file our taxes...I am so frustrated cause we are getting shafted and I don't know what to do.

By vagner — On Dec 19, 2007

I urge you all to take a look at IRS Form SS-8.

If you are tired of being scammed, and tired of seeing others ripped off, go ahead and fill out this form and mail it to the IRS - the more of us who blow the whistle, the less inclined employers will be to try to take advantage of us by misclassifying us as independent contractors.

If you are unable to get unemployment insurance, send this form to the IRS and also talk to your state's department of labor. Your company will end up being audited, and will have to back your witholding taxes for you, plus tons of back taxes. You can use this as a negotiation tool too in case they try to fire you. Just show them this form.

It's disgraceful just how many companies will deliberately misclassify employees and just how far they will go to save a buck. Thankfully, Americans have the resources we need to give them a good kick where it counts.

By adi27 — On Dec 01, 2007

I've owned a corporation (.INC) since December '06, and have no employees. Can I file my taxes as a freelancer???

By anon4946 — On Nov 07, 2007

1.Types of 1099 forms?

2.What is the importance of it?

By ibflossing — On Sep 24, 2007

is it true that if you make less than a certain amount of money, you, as an employee does not need to report to the irs?

what is a "sub" is it the same as an independent contractor?


By anon3051 — On Aug 07, 2007

I have just learned that my new owner is planning on issuing 1099 forms to the current employees that have in the past been given W-2's. We are not independent contractors or freelance emmployees and strictly work for this one company. What is an employee's legal responsibility for paying into the IRS, Social Security, etc. if we receive a 1099? Is the employer responsible for the matching Social security, etc. that they pay when the employees receive W-2's or does that save the employer from paying anything and the emmployee is responsible for the full amount. Thanks.

By ckcking2 — On Jul 02, 2007

I have a similar situatoin as Michelea16. I think the business is going down the drain and she is trying to save money by not having to pay workers comp, etc. She did not tell me she changed my status it was just on my check from the payroll company. What do I do now?

By michelea16 — On Jun 30, 2007

My employer, without any notification, has started paying me as a 1099 employee. This was done without my knowledge and when I confronted the employer he denied doing this even though I asked why taxes were not being deducted from my wages. My employer is lying to me telling me that he is paying the taxes and I will not be responsible at the years end but, my check information has been changed to 1099 status. What rights do I have? I have been employed by this company for four years. I am not now and have never been an independent contractor. I have never negotiated any contracts with this employer and as I have stated above this went into effect without my knowledge. After researching 1099 it is clear that my employer has taken advantage of me and has possibly interfered with my ability to take the proper steps to ensure that I have the necessary paperwork, (saved receipts, etc.) to use for legal deductions at the end of the year. Do I have any legal recourse?

By anon1907 — On Jun 19, 2007

Is a collector able to use a 1099/1090 form in order to garnish wages from a voluntary repossession of a vehicle?

By anon1906 — On Jun 19, 2007

i am doing a government job in India. I am doing online internet based jobs of USA. whether i have to pay income tax to USA government or not? have i to submit W-8BEN form to IRS ?

By Pam — On Jun 18, 2007

I am the Administrative Assistant to Professional Event Management, LLC Company. I do the payroll for all of our 1099 Contractors. We frequently get 'Employment verification' calls and I want to know what is legal to give out or not as far as their personal information is concerned.

By anon1675 — On Jun 11, 2007

I was an employee of a company and completed all work for them in 2006. But, instead of being paid in full last year, I am being paid in installments in 2007. I am no longer an employee of the company, nor do any kind of work for them. FICA and Federal income tax was being withheld for the first few months of 2007, but I have now been notified that beginning with the next installment I will be treated as an "independent contractor" and nothing will be withheld. I'm trying to figure out how to report the FICA taxes that were previously being withheld.

By anon1670 — On Jun 11, 2007

Do 1099 employees still qualify for unemployment benefits from their state should they lose their job?

By pwisman — On May 10, 2007

Are there any restrictions on using your children as part time employees and using a 1099 as opposed to a W2? ie, using them as a freelancer as, opposed to an employee. They will be working in a parent-owned Sole Proprietorship during the summer and as needed during the school year.

By anon703 — On May 02, 2007

My attorney was able to negotiate an out of court settlement with a former employer arising from the latter's breach of our employment contract. The attorney has received a 1099 from the miscreant employer and will forward it to yours truly. Yours truly will then write a check = 25% of the negotiated settlement to the attorney. Since the settlement was for lost wages, the understanding I have is that the fees payable to the attorney are tax deductible in the current year. The attorney has told yours truly that the attorney could be paid with a 1099 or words to that effect. Also that the letter of agreement signed with the att'y would suffice if this writer were audited by IRS over the future deduction of the att'ys fees. Any comments?

By yankeefan1a — On Apr 17, 2007

We have a 1099-A form due to forclosure on, what was, our home mortgage.

Do we need to input the balance, or any other data into the 1040, or is is just for information?

If the information does need to be entered, where?


SmartCapitalMind, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

SmartCapitalMind, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.